News

News (1263)

Tuesday, 12 July 2016 10:53

Fatal Motorcycle Crash Under Investigation

Written by

A fatal motorcycle accident this morning is under investigation in Catawba County. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol told WHKY that as of 11 a.m. they were still at the scene of a crash at the intersection of NC 10 and Highway 70 in eastern Catawba County. Twitter reports state the accident did result in a fatality. No further details were available. We will provide updates on this incident as we receive information.

49-year-old David William Hill of 8th Street Place S.E. in Hickory was arrested by Hickory Police at 3:30 yesterday afternoon on one felony count each of breaking & entering and larceny after breaking & entering, plus two felony counts of possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a schedule II controlled substance. He was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of injury to personal property and one count of resisting, delaying or obstructing a public officer.

Hill is accused of breaking into the vacant home of 50-year-old Stephanie Charlene Harvey, who was murdered on June 8. On June 10, Police were called to investigate a broken window at the residence on 2nd Avenue S.E. in Hickory. Two TVs and video games were stolen from the residence. 48-year-old Carl Dennis Geter was also arrested in connection to the break-in and theft. He was taken into custody on June 14.

Hill and Geter are not implicated in Ms. Harvey’s death. 54-year-old Glen McQuay Jr. was arrested and charged with that crime on June 8.

Police found 1.7 grams of crack cocaine at the time of Hill’s arrest. The property damage and resisting charges were the result of the suspect’s actions when he was taken into custody on the 100 block of 3rd Avenue S.E. in Hickory.

Hill was placed in the Catawba Co. Detention Facility under a $26,000 secured bond. District Court appearances were scheduled for today and September 14.

City of Morganton Water Resources workers were making an emergency repair to a three-inch water line on John Coffey Road this morning (Tuesday, July 12). A news release from the city says that Workers may have to shut off water service to make the repair. If workers do shut off water service, approximately 25 customers on John Coffey Road on a section of NC 18 between John Coffey Road and the Chesterfield Fire Department will be affected. Repair time had not been determined.

Catawba County Sheriff’s Office deputies and North Carolina Wildlife officers have recovered the body of the man missing yesterday in the Sherrills Ford area of Lake Norman.

The search ended just before 10 p.m. Monday (July 11) when the missing man’s body was found in water less than ten feet deep. The body was in the same cove in which his boat was normally docked.

Local authorities began searching a wide area of land and water around Sherrills Ford and Lake Norman after being notified by family members around 5 p.m. that the man had not returned as expected earlier in the day. He had last been seen at 4:30 a.m. on his boat.

Also participating in the search was Sherrills Ford – Terrell Fire and Rescue, and Mooresville Fire Department. Additional information will be released later today (Tuesday, July 12) by the NC Wildlife Commission.

42-year-old Richard Scott Setzer was arrested Monday (July 11) by Burke County Sheriff's Officers. He's charged with one felony count of kidnapping. Setzer was placed in jail in Morganton following the arrest, his bond was set at $75,000 secured. A court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday (July 13).

34-year-old Melissa Ann Austin of 2nd Avenue SW in Hickory was arrested Monday (July 11) by Catawba County Sheriff's Officers. She's charged with possession of methamphetamine, possession of marijuana paraphernalia, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Austin was jailed in the Catawba County Detention Facility under $2,000 bond. A District Court appearance was scheduled for today (Tuesday, July 12).

The man with a suspected connection to more than 400 bomb threats in Burke, Caldwell and Catawba counties over a period of nearly seven weeks admitted to violating probation that had been imposed in connection to similar offenses and convictions. The defendant's sentence was activated during Catawba County Superior Court on Monday (July 11).

27-year-old Cody Matthew Startt admitted to violating terms of his probation by absconding from supervision, being in arrears of court indebtedness and failing to complete court-directed community service. As a result of Startt’s admission, the Honorable Gregory R. Hayes, Superior Court Judge from Catawba County, revoked the defendant’s probation and activated his prison sentence of four to fourteen months that will be served in custody of the North Carolina Department of Adult Corrections.

The defendant was convicted in October 2015 on three counts of making false bomb reports in May 2015. Startt was arrested on July 6 in Matoaka, West Virginia by the Hickory Police Department, FBI and West Virginia State Police on the probation violations. The probation violations were related to his prior convictions for making false bomb threats.

A large-scale investigation by local, state and federal authorities into the current rash of bomb threats that started on May 21 in the 25th Judicial District led to Startt as the suspected source of the most recent bomb threats, which occurred in the cities of Hickory, Newton, Conover, Morganton, Lenoir and Granite Falls as well as other locations throughout Catawba, Burke and Caldwell counties.

All local law enforcement agencies are working with the FBI, U.S. Marshals and NCSBI as well as the District Attorney’s office for the 25th Judicial District to determine the exact charges Startt may face and whether he will be prosecuted in state or federal court.

The Burke County Sheriff’s Office is continuing it's operation entitled "Summer Campaign to Serve Warrants." According to a news release issued late last week by the Sheriff's Office, since the campaign’s inception June 20, 100 individuals had been arrested on 181 total warrants. The news release also listed suspects recently arrested as part of the operation.

25-year-old Billy Joe Hahn Jr. of 16th Street Drive in Hickory is charged with felony larceny by employee. Hahn was placed in jail under $5,000 secured bond. He made his first court appearance last Friday (July 8). His next court appearance is scheduled for July 18.

45-year-old Neil Wayne Hoyle of Lady Bug Lane in Hickory is charged with felony indecent exposure and misdemeanor indecent exposure. Hoyle was jailed under $10,000 secured bond. He also made his first court appearance last Friday in Morganton.  

People who have pending warrants can voluntarily turn themselves in. Anyone who has any information on the location of suspects with pending warrants can contact the 911 Center or utilize Crime Stoppers by calling 828-437-3333, texting 274637 with the keyword BURKETIPS and then texting your tip, or go to www.tipsoft.com and download a free TipSubmit application to submit pictures and videos.

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper says in the wake of a malware data breach that affected more than 1,000 Wendy’s fast food restaurants nationwide, including locations in North Carolina, consumers should take action to avoid identity theft. The Attorney General issued a statement in a news release Monday (July 11) from the North Carolina Department of Justice (NCDOJ).

So far, Cooper’s office has been notified that the data breach has compromised information from Wendy’s franchises in the following North Carolina locations: Cashiers, Cherokee, Clinton, Fayetteville, Hope Mills, Lumberton, Murphy, Siler City and Warsaw. Consumers are encouraged to continue checking the Wendy’s website for updates on other locations potentially affected by the breach.

Wendy’s first alerted consumers of unusual card activity in February and June of this year. In a news release issued last week, the company announced that a malware variant may have exposed customers’ payment card data, cardholder names, credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, cardholder verification values and service codes. Consumers who have visited a Wendy’s in one of the impacted locations and used a payment card should notify their payment card provider of the incident and consider requesting a new card.

Cooper also recommends that consumers who think they may have been affected take the following steps immediately:

Check your credit reports. Criminals who have personal information can use it to take out credit cards or loans and run up debts in your name. Under federal law, you are entitled to one free credit report each year from all three major credit bureaus.

Use services offered to victims. Wendy’s announced that it will provide one year of free credit monitoring and identity protection to anyone impacted by the data breach.

Request a fraud alert from one of the three major credit bureaus, which can protect your bank and credit accounts for up to 90 days.

Consider a security freeze for your credit reports to prevent criminals from opening up new accounts or lines of credit. North Carolina consumers can get a free security freeze online.

Report suspicious activity. If you spot a charge, payment, loan, or line of credit you don’t recognize on your credit report, contact local law enforcement immediately.

And watch out for follow up scams that may try to trick possible breach victims into providing additional personal information, such as phishing emails and phony websites.

North Carolina law requires businesses to notify consumers if their personal information has been breached. They are also required to report security breaches to the Attorney General’s Office. Since 2005, almost 3,500 breaches that involved information about more than 9.3 million North Carolina consumers have been reported to the Attorney General’s Office.

For more information on security breaches and additional steps consumers can take to protect themselves, visit our website at ncdoj.gov or contact our Consumer Protection Division by calling 1-877-5-NO-SCAM toll-free within North Carolina.

Catawba County Sheriff’s Office deputies and North Carolina Wildlife officers are searching for an overdue boater in the Lake Norman area of Sherrills Ford. The missing person is a male, in his mid-50s who was staying in the area.

Local authorities are searching a wide area of land and water around Sherrills Ford and Lake Norman after being notified by others that man had not returned as expected.

Also participating in the search are Sherrills Ford – Terrell Fire and Rescue, and Mooresville Fire Department.

News Arrest Disclaimer:
The individuals depicted have been arrested but not convicted at the time of story postings. This information does not infer or imply guilt of any actions or activity other than their arrest. We make no warranty or guaranty as to the accuracy of this data.

© 2016 Long Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved
526 Main Avenue SE, Hickory, NC 28602 - Phone: 828-322-1290 - Fax: 828-322-8256