News

News (2290)

Saturday, 04 November 2017 22:52

Fatal Shooting Under Investigation In Catawba County

Written by

The Catawba County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the fatal shooting  Saturday (November 4) of a Claremont man. According to a news release, 28-year-old Kevin Hefner was found deceased in the doorway of his residence at 4077 Old Catawba Road. He died from an apparent gunshot wound to the chest. 

Individuals at the residence at the time of the shooting told officers that someone knocked on the door at approximately 6 p.m. Saturday, Mr. Hefner answered, and he was shot one time in the chest. The suspect is described as a white male, in his mid 40s with gray facial hair, wearing a black shirt, dark pants, and a dark bandana on his head. He got into the passenger side of a shiny black car, which left the scene heading south on Highway 10. 

 Anyone with information is asked to contact Sgt. Stacey Huffman at 828-465-8432 or the Catawba County Sheriff’s Office at 828-464-5241.

Friday, 03 November 2017 13:55

Hickory Man Jailed on Felony Heroin Charge

Written by

24-year-old Gregory Dylan Carnevale of 22nd Avenue N.E. in Hickory was arrested by Hickory Police at about 6:30 p.m. yesterday on one felony count each of possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver heroin and maintaining a vehicle, dwelling or place for a controlled substance, plus one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Carnevale was taken into custody without incident at his residence.  He was placed in the Catawba Co. Detention Facility under a $10,000 secured bond.  An appearance in District Court was scheduled today in Newton with his next court date coming up on November 21.

Friday, 03 November 2017 13:34

Multiple Drug Charges Filed Against Conover Man

Written by

40-year-old Marcus Lamont Beatty of 2nd Street Place SW in Conover was arrested today (November 3) by Catawba County Sheriff's Officers. He's charged with possession with intent to sell and deliver cocaine, maintain a vehicle, dwelling or place to keep controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Beatty was detained in the Catawba County Detention Facility under $20,000 bond. A District Court appearance is scheduled for Monday (November 6).

Drexel Police have found the body of 52-year-old James Nelson Abernathy of Reed Street in Drexel.  Mr. Abernathy had gone missing from his residence at about 9 p.m. on October 13.

Drexel Police Chief Craig Treadway told WHKY that the family searched for Mr. Abernathy that evening, but suspected he was safe at someone else’s home.  They reported him missing the following day (October 14), about 17-to-18 hours after he left the residence.

Chief Treadway was searching on his own yesterday (November 2) at about three or four o’clock in the afternoon when he spotted a pair of shorts across a log in an overgrown area off of Reed Street.  The Chief detected a faint odor and followed it further down into a ravine, where he found Mr. Abernathy’s body.  Firefighters were called to the scene to clear undergrowth and brush from the area so the body could be carried out.  Mr. Abernathy’s body was found about 200 yards from his residence and about 100-to150 feet from the roadway.

Chief Treadway said there were no signs of foul play.  Mr. Abernathy was known to suffer from several health issues.  The Chief suspects that the body had been in the ravine for some time and that Mr. Abernathy passed away a short time after he disappeared.  The Chief could not speculate on a specific cause of death.  An autopsy will be conducted at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem.

Several organized searches had been conducted previously, including one on October 15 and another three days later, which included the use of cadaver dogs.  Another search was conducted on October 20.  Drexel Police, including Chief Treadway, had continued to look for Mr. Abernathy each day until his remains were found yesterday.

Friday, 03 November 2017 11:07

Hudson Woman Charged With Mutiple Felony Counts

Written by

34-year-old Jennifer Lynn Anderson of Jennings Street in Hudson was arrested Thursday (November 2) by Lenoir Police Officers. She's charged with three felony counts of obtaining property by false pretense. Anderson was jailed in the Caldwell County Detention Center under $60,000 secured bond. A District Court appearance is scheduled for Monday (November 6).

70-year-old John Arthur Coburn of Beech Bluff Drive in Morganton was arrested Thursday (November 2) by Burke County Sheriff's Officers. He's charged with felony statutory sexual offense with a child by an adult and felony first degree sexual exploitation of a minor.  

On Thursday, the Burke County Sheriff`s Office Criminal Investigation Division assisted the U.S. Department of Homeland Security with the execution of a search warrant at 5137 Beech Bluff Drive in Morganton. Information was gathered during the search that resulted in the arrest of the homeowner, John Arthur Coburn.

Coburn was the Burke-Catawba District Confinement Facility under $100,000 secured bond. A District Court appearance was scheduled for today (November 3). The investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be forth coming.

18-year-old Raymond Smith of Oak Park, Michigan and 18-year-old Dante Tariq Moody of Belleville, Michigan were both arrested Thursday (November 2) by Conover Police Officers. They're each charged with felony identity fraud along with misdemeanor counts of possession of marijuana up to one-half ounce and possession of stolen goods. Both suspects were detained in the Catawba County Detention Facility under $20,000 bond. They have District Court appearances today (November 3).

Catawba County Emergency Services encourages residents to be aware of local and state resources available to help residents with recovery and clean-up efforts following last week’s damaging storms.

For residents with limited financial resources for debris removal or home clean up, the North Carolina Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) and Crisis Cleanup, a not-for-profit disaster recovery organization, are working to connect residents with reputable and vetted relief agencies in the area. Services include chainsaw work, debris clean up, roof tarping and flood clean out. The services are provided free of charge by agencies in their network, but service is not guaranteed due to the overwhelming need.

From now through November 30, 2017, NC 2-1-1 call centers are registering residents for assistance through this program.  Residents may dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162 to determine if they are eligible for services and get added to the registry.

According to Aaron Titus, Executive Director of Crisis Cleanup, “We are offering this service through November 30, 2017 to help facilitate cleanup by various aid agencies standing by to assist those affected by the storms. NC 2-1-1 will notify multiple relief agencies that survivors need help. Response times will vary, so we ask residents their patience while the teams receive and organize their response to help.”

NC 2-1-1 is provided by United Way of North Carolina with the support of local United Ways throughout the State. The information and referral service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and provides free, confidential, and multilingual help to citizens in all 100 counties of North Carolina. In addition to registering for storm clean-up, callers can ask for assistance with referrals for other needs such as food, clothing, healthcare, and other basic needs. The database of resources is also available at www.nc211.org.

63-year-old Dean Allan Yancey of Connelly Springs, will spend seven to eleven years in prison after pleading guilty to two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and two counts of discharging a weapon into occupied premises. The Honorable Robert C. Ervin, Superior Court Judge from Burke County, imposed the prison term for Yancey following the plea on Monday (October 30) in Burke County Superior Court.

The defendant, who also was given an additional suspended sentence of 29-47 months with 36 months of probation, will serve his time in custody of the North Carolina Division of Adult Corrections.

Investigators from Burke County Sheriff’s Office were called to a residence on May 1, 2013, in reference to a shooting that had occurred. The investigation showed that Yancey pulled his truck up to the front of the residence of his brother and sister-in-law, who were inside watching television. The defendant fired two shots from a shotgun through the window of the home, missing the victims by just inches.

While he was on pre-trial release, Yancey fled to Ecuador for more than two years but was extradited back to Burke County with assistance of the United States Marshal’s Service for his court appearance.

Scott Carico investigated the case for the Burke County Sheriff’s Office. Michelle Lippert handled prosecution for the District Attorney’s Office.

51-year-old Frankie Lee Hollar of Connelly Springs, was given an active prison term of six to ten years for possession of child pornography. Hollar pleaded guilty to six counts of second-degree exploitation of a minor during Burke County Superior Court on Wednesday (November 1).

The Honorable Robert C. Ervin, Superior Court Judge from Burke County, sentenced Hollar to serve the prison term in custody of the North Carolina Division of Adult Corrections. Judge Ervin also gave him an additional suspended sentence of six to 10 years with 60 months of probation. If Hollar violates terms of his probation, that suspended sentence will be activated and served consecutive to the active sentence he will serve.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) was notified on April 7, 2015, of numerous images being posted on Twitter that contained child pornography. The Burke County Sheriff’s Office was notified by NCMEC of the postings based on Internet and service providers noted within the post properties.

Detectives Isaac Propst and Scott Carico were able to determine through their investigation that the account was operated and maintained by the defendant at his residence. They made contact with him at the residence, and he stated that some of the pictures he had on his computer and posted on Twitter were of girls that probably were “too young.”

Investigators seized the computer from Hollar and searched the contents of the hard drive, uncovering a substantial amount of child pornography.

Isaac Propst led the investigation for the Burke County Sheriff’s Office. Assistant District Attorney Michelle Lippert prosecuted the case for the State.

News Arrest Disclaimer:
The individuals depicted have been arrested but not convicted at the time of story postings. This information does not infer or imply guilt of any actions or activity other than their arrest. We make no warranty or guaranty as to the accuracy of this data.

© 2017 Long Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved
526 Main Avenue SE, Hickory, NC 28602 - Phone: 828-322-1290 - Fax: 828-322-8256