On Thursday, March 27, the Boone Police Department, along with the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office, the Appalachian State University Police Department, the Blowing Rock Police Department and the North Carolina Highway Patrol, conducted an impaired driving checking station on King Street at College Street in Boone.
As a result of the checking station, the following charges were made:
- 4 driving while impaired;
- 1 wanted person (assault on a female);
- 1 providing fictitious information to an officer;
- 4 alcohol violations;
- 4 misdemeanor drug violations;
- 1 felony possession of marijuana with intent to sell & deliver; and
- 35 other motor vehicle law violations.
27 officers utilizing a Governor’s Highway Safety Program mobile breath-alcohol testing unit, better known as a BATMobile, along with representatives from MADD and WYN, participated in the checking station.
Additional checking stations are planned in the upcoming months.