Appalachian State University men's tennis (5-17, 1-5 SBC) suffered a 4-0 decision to Georgia Southern (15-9, 2-4 SBC) on Friday afternoon in Statesboro at the Wallis Tennis Center.
Appalachian wasn't able to win the doubles point as the hosts recorded the two doubles victories to go up 1-0 heading into singles play.
App State fell in the three doubles affairs that sealed the win for GS. Ben Webster (Perth, Australia/Scotch College) was edged in his first set, 7-5, but later suffered a 6-2 setback to Murphy McCullough. Milo Bargeron (Chislehurst, England/Bullerswood) won his first set against Antonio Muniz on Court No. 1. Bargeron's contest went to a third set and was leading 1-0, but the match went unfinished.
The Mountaineers played a tough Georgia Southern team that is now 9-2 at home, while the combined winning percentage of App's road opponents (non-neutral) is .635 (148-85). Appalachian will face Coastal Carolina on Saturday at 12 p.m. in Conway.
1. Antonio Muniz (GS) vs. Milo Bargeron (APP) 7-5, 1-6, 0-1, unfinished
2. Stefano Di Aloy (GS) vs. Zion Heaven (APP) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. Murphym McCullough (GS) def. Ben Webster (APP) 7-5, 6-2
4. Diego Finkelstein (GS) def. Afonso Viana (APP) 6-1, 6-2
5. Pascal Wagemaker (GS) vs. Campbell Stone (APP) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
6. Santiago Suarez (GS) def. Blake Carter (APP) 6-2, 6-3
1. Muniz/McCullough (GS) def. Heaven/Webster(APP) 6-2
2. Alcala/Di Aloy (GS) vs. Bargeron/Viana (APP) 4-3, unfinished
3. Garcia/Wagemaker(GS) def. Brea/Stone (APP) 6-0