Appalachian State University women's tennis (7-4, 1-0 SBC) notched a 4-2 victory over Coastal Carolina (5-6, 0-1 SBC) to open Sun Belt Conference play on Wednesday afternoon.
With the victory, the Mountaineers have won three of their past four matches and are 5-3 in road contests this season. The win also avenges a 4-2 defeat to the Chanticleers in 2018.
Appalachian jumped out to a 1-0 lead after securing the doubles point. The pairing of Rebecca Morse and Jeannez Daniel earned a swift 6-2 decision before María José Zacarias and Heidi Swope closed out doubles action with a 6-4 triumph.
After the Mountaineers jumped out to a 3-0 lead thanks to singles victories from Swope and Teodora Sevo, the Chanticleers responded with two wins of their own. With the match score at 3-2, Jeannez Daniel recorded the match-clinching singles victory with a 7-6, 6-4 decision.
Daniel's victory was her fourth of the season. Swope's 7-5, 6-1 win over Alexa Tiefel propelled her to a team-best 9-2 record in singles competition. Sevo's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Viktorija Demcenkova in the No. 1 spot moved her back to .500 in singles play.
Morse's singles match went unfinished, but the senior battled back from a first-set defeat with a 6-1 win in the second set.
After Wednesday, the Mountaineers' roster also has six players who have at least four victories in singles competition.
App State will travel to Jonesboro, Arkansas, on Sunday to continue its conference slate against Arkansas State. First serve is set for 10 a.m.
1. Teodora Sevo (APP) def. Viktorija Demcenkova 6-4, 6-3
2. Jennifer Brown (CCU) def. Kate Earnhardt (APP) 6-4, 6-4
3. Somer Dalla-Bona (CCU) def. María José Zacarias (APP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jeannez Daniel (APP) def. Alicja Zduniak (CCU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Jessie Mount (CCU) vs. Rebecca Morse (APP) 4-6, 6-1, 3-3, unfinished
6. Heidi Swope (APP) def. Alexa Tiefel (CCU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Swope/Zacarias (APP) def. Demcenkova/Dalla-Bona (CCU) 6-4
2. Brown/Mount (CCU) vs. Sevo/Sandra Anglesjö (APP) 5-3, unfinished
3. Daniel/Morse (APP) def. Tiefel/Zduniak (CCU) 6-2
Order of Finish: (3,1) (6,1,3,2,4)