WHKY TalkRadio for The Greater Hickory Metro
- WHKY TalkRadio broadcast on both 1290 AM with 50,000 watts and on 102.3 FM to fully cover The Greater Hickory Metro area.
- WHKY has the only local live morning talk show, "First Talk with Hal Row".
- WHKY has all the top rated national talk shows including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mike Gallagher and Mark Levin.
- WHKY has the only full time local news staff dedicated to providing extensive local news, weather & sports.
- WHKY airs Fox News Radio, the North Carolina News Network, NASCAR races and FOX Sports Radio to fully reach and fill the needs of the local market.
- Primary Audience: Adults 35 - plus
WHKY-TV 14, the independent full-power television station, covering 22 counties encompassing the Charlotte television market. WHKY-TV is available to viewers via free over-the-air Digital TV, Cable TV, DirecTV and Dish Network. Local half- hour newscast devoted to the Greater Hickory Metro area are broadcast weeknights at 5:30pm and 10:00pm. WHKY-TV main channel broadcasts in HDTV 16x9 720p on 14.1 WHKY-TV operates ffive digital entertainment channels on 14.2, 14.3, 14.4, 14.5 & 14.6.
Both were the first stations in Hickory, NC and between Charlotte and Asheville, NC at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Founded in 1939 by Edmund S. Long the stations are still locally owned and operated by the Long Family as Long Communications, LLC.
WHKY Radio Broadcast Data:
WHKY Radio signed on June 10, 1940 and transmits on 1290 AM and 102.3 FM.
Format: News/Talk with emphasis on local news, sports and information.
Hours of Operation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Power: AM 50,000 watts directional daytime, 1,000 watts directional nighttime. FM 250 watts
Transmitter Coordinates: AM: Longitude North 35 43 42, Latitude West 81 17 54 FM: 35° 43' 59.00" N Latitude 81° 19' 51.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
WHKY-TV Broadcast Data:
WHKY-TV signed on February 14, 1968.
Local News: Weeknights 5:30pm & 10:00pm (1/2 Hour)
Hours of Operation: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Digital Television distributed transmission system (multiple transmitter sites):
DTS 1 (atop Baker Mountain, Catawba County, NC):
35° 43' 59.00" N Latitude
81° 19' 51.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 600,000 watts
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 182 meters (597 feet)
DTS 2 (Charlotte, NC):
35° 17' 14.00" N Latitude
80° 41' 45.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 18,000 watts
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 167 meters (548 feet)
526 Main Avenue, SE
Hickory, NC 28602
Mailing: P.O. Box 1059
Hickory, NC 28603-1059
Offices (828) 322-1290
Live Local Program Phones:
*Radio Local Talk Shows (828) 327-WHKY (9459)
*TV Live Shows (828) 485-5555
* Must call when programs are Live on-air
E-mail: Contact WHKY